IDS mailing list archives

Re: How much Commercial IDSes cost?

From: "Chad Giulini" <chad.giulini () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:22:59 -0400

Masgard,

You should also factor in any prospective vendor's recommended
monitoring and management software.  Depending on your requirements
this can become significant in addition to the cost/complexity of the
basic sensor acquisition.  Some factors to include:

1) Is the management solution integrated with the monitoring solution?
2) Can you manage and/or monitor the IDS device directly or do you
need additional external software?
3) Does the management/monitoring solution run on Windows, Linux,
and/or proprietary appliance?
4) How does the monitoring solution scale?  (Both for multiple source
devices as well as the number of aggregate events per second.)
5) How does the IDS send data to the monitor?  Can you direct output
to other systems via syslog, snmp, or ODBC?
6) Does the vendor's monitoring solution support the latest version
and signature of their IDS/IPS software?  (This sounds odd, but there
is at least one large vendor who's monitoring solution does not
support IDS code they released to production about a year ago).
7) Can the vendor provide you with three reference accounts who have
been using their proposed solution in a production capacity for more
than 6 months?

I hope this helps.  Good luck in your search.

Regards,

Chad