IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS detection approaches

From: "Sec urity" <security () brvenik com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 12:18:42 -0400

On 10/5/07, Nelson Brito <nbrito () sekure org> wrote:
I do agree that SNORT is one of the most popular when you are learning about IDS, but it is possible to attack the
IDS engine in a very easy way: 1) evasion; 2) DoS; 3) Flse Positive; 4) you name it...

That isn't a SNORT's weakness, it is a technology limitation: pattern matching. This is very easy to take advantage
of the pattern itself  - in bad sense...

There are few commercial IPS products that stand up to informed
scrutiny as well as Snort. Too bad many commercial black box vendors
are allowed to claim something other than reality. What leads you to
believe that other vendors are not simple signature engines or are
some how superior?

A perfect example to look at is

https://strikecenter.bpointsys.com/articles/2007/06/19/ips-evasion-with-the-apache-http-server

And still to this day there are variations of this method that
continue to evade.

\x0cGET /whatever/you/want HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n

This is an easy target that recently got updated in the _signature_
packs of one vendor that claims to be other than a fast regex engine.

I think the best approach is when vendors get the knowledge of how the vulnerabilties work, istead of how the
exploits exploit the vulnerability. This is so reactive that any new exploit / worm variant will require a new
signature.

Keep in mind that when you know how the vulnerability can be exploited is better than know how so many exploits
works, but it is not that easy! A signature database based on pattern is easier but gives you worng sense of
protection, and this worse than no protection.

That said, IMHO, anomaly detection + signature database based on vulnerabilties + behavior detection + any other
approach other than pattern means BETTER SECURITY / PROTECTION.

My 2 cents.

Do not underestimate the value of signatures in protocol modeling.
Especially when it is backed by a rules language that allows for full
protocol state tracking and analysis.

All protocols have patterns, these patterns are often identifiable by
signatures. This is perhaps why people often confuse the snort rules
language with a purely signature based engine. That perception could
not be farther from the truth. In a simple form there are a few
components that come together to facilitate far more sophisticated
analysis.

1) Preprocessors - These are best described as protocol normalizers,
generally employed when protocols have multiple representations that
need to be accounted for. They can also be used for crypto,
behavioral, and anomaly based detection in a faster way than rules can
support alone.

2) Signatures - These are your standard pattern matching methods
generally employed

3) Rules - These allow you to do the really cool things with traffic
analysis without writing code.

EG:
  - Find the field marker for buffer size denoted by the pattern |03 04 06 FE|
  - At the end of the marker, take four bytes and interpret them as an int
  - Jump that many bytes forward in the payload
  - From that position find the op code for open file
  - At the open file op code location test the value of file size, if
it is greater than 128 there is a vulnerable condition.

There is not enough space in this mail to get into multipacket
analysis, arbitrary protocol state tracking, target based reassembly,
application modeling, white listing, tokenized bait, input
validation...

Snort itself is much much more than a signature engine, please do not
continue to confuse hobbyist works (simple signatures for snort) with
actual capabilities and professional application.

Nelson Brito (nbrito () sekure org)
Senior IPS Engineer & Pen-tester