IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS detection approaches

From: Nelson Brito <nbrito () sekure org>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 21:32:08 -0300

I do agree that SNORT is one of the most popular when you are learning about IDS, but it is possible to attack the IDS
engine in a very easy way: 1) evasion; 2) DoS; 3) Flse Positive; 4) you name it...

That isn't a SNORT's weakness, it is a technology limitation: pattern matching. This is very easy to take advantage of
the pattern itself  - in bad sense...

I think the best approach is when vendors get the knowledge of how the vulnerabilties work, istead of how the exploits
exploit the vulnerability. This is so reactive that any new exploit / worm variant will require a new signature.

Keep in mind that when you know how the vulnerability can be exploited is better than know how so many exploits works,
but it is not that easy! A signature database based on pattern is easier but gives you worng sense of protection, and
this worse than no protection.

That said, IMHO, anomaly detection + signature database based on vulnerabilties + behavior detection + any other
approach other than pattern means BETTER SECURITY / PROTECTION.

My 2 cents.

Nelson Brito (nbrito () sekure org)
Senior IPS Engineer & Pen-tester