IDS mailing list archives

Re: Asymmetric traffic/topology

From: Adam Powers <apowers () lancope com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 17:47:47 -0500

If when you say "Behavior-based System" you're referencing any of the
NetFlow-based products then you're not quite right.

Behavior-based NetFlow products overcome the asymmetry problem by
reassembling flows from multiple routers along disparate data paths.

If we have a situation such as:

Client -> R1 -> R2 -> R3 -> Server

Client <- R1 <- R4 <- R3 <- Server

..in this case the path is R1 to R2 to R3 in one direction and R3 to R4 to
R1 on the return path. Classic asymmetric L3 routing. NetFlow gets around
this problem because R1, R2, R3, and R4 are all sending their NetFlow
exports to a single collector where the unidirectional flows are merged and
processed into a "bi-flow" that would look more like...

Client <-> R1 <-> R2,R4 <-> R3 <-> Server

Analysis can then be performed on the bidirectional flow without fear of
asymmetry issues. All that's required is that you enable NetFlow on the
correct devices (the more the merrier IMO).