IDS mailing list archives

RE: Asymmetric traffic/topology

From: "Bergen, Matt" <MBergen () mgmmirage com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 11:00:29 -0800

Asymmetric communication is not generally preferred, but it is also not
entirely uncommon on today's networks. Most of the experience I've had
with this type of configuration relates to Internet multi-homing. For
example, if a network pads their BGP prefix list to force communication
to come in through one provider but outbound traffic is allowed to take
the best path, a situation will exist where incoming traffic will take
one path across the Internet but the return traffic to some hosts will
take another.

You also have to figure that, with the dynamic nature of modern
networks, (including the Internet) asymmetric routing will occasionally
popup and disappear depending on the decisions made by the specific
routing protocols. The only way to completely avoid this is through
static routes.

As far as purposely creating an asymmetric configuration on a corporate
network, I have never had a reason to do so, but I suppose there could
be some situations where it might be necessary or useful.

From a network intrusion detection/prevention perspective, there is most
likely a point closer to the system/network you're trying to monitor
where there is no asymmetry. For example, there is only one possible
path at a time on an Ethernet network.

Of course, all of this is fairly generic. Can you give more specific
information?

--
Matt