IDS mailing list archives

Re: Wired detection of rogue access points

From: Adam Powers <apowers () lancope com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:40:53 -0400

"Filtering by MAC gives you no additional security whatsoever, period"

Meh, this is simply not true. My home AP might is plenty secure from my SOHO
technology noob neighbors with MAC filtering - few, if any, of them even
know what an "AP" is much less "MAC spoofing".

Having said that filtering technologies such as MAC filtering are far too
difficult to manage given the relatively small security return provided and
as such should be avoided given the fact that other superior authentication
and access control mechanisms exist.