IDS mailing list archives

Re: Wired detection of rogue access points

From: Adam Crosby <acrosby () jlab org>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:34:07 -0400

It does have benefits though - such as preventing 'accidental' users of
your wireless infrastructure.  How many people can see your AP and if
they can connect, just go ahead and do so, to check their email or
whatever.  It's not going to be effective against an attacker, but like
a fence or hedge, it can prevent otherwise casual misuse of your systems.

--
adam

tim_holman () hotmail com wrote:
Filtering by MAC gives you no additional security whatsoever, period.  MAC addresses can be easily spoofed and
although your solution may assist in spotting misconfigurations a determined intruder will get straight through....