IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS in a loadbalanced Network

From: Adam Powers <apowers () lancope com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 12:51:29 -0400

Paul, I'm confused about your comments regarding packets "tunneled within
HSRP". HSRP is Cisco's Hot Standby Routing Protocol. It's a multicast
virtual routing interface technology for making L3 gateways on a local
subnet highly available, not a tunneling or packet encapsulation protocol as
you suggest. I'm guessing you meant 802.1q or ISL vs. HSRP, no? Or is there
some new covert channel involving HSRP ISS has discovered that the rest of
us are unaware of?

Anyway, usually* the best bet is to SPAN the various VLANs that you're
wanting to monitor into a single destination port on the switch/router.
Don't bother trying to monitor the physical aggregated ports themselves.
Logical VLAN monitoring is almost always easier.

Most vendors offer the option to either mirror Ethernet frames transiting
the trunk with or without tagging. You'll usually want to enable tagged
frames as modern sensor technologies will make use of the VLAN ID contained
within the tag.

If you have two or more switch/routers that are HSRP enabled just plug the
SPAN/mirror output from these devices into multiple ports offered on a
single sensor (pretty much *all* vendors support port aggregation at this
point). It's important that you avoid asymmetric routing. Given the fact
that packets can come into a subnet on the secondary HSRP router and leave
on the primary, you MUST monitor both HSRP devices using a single sensor.

* The only exception to this is 1) the switch/router vendor doesn't support
monitoring of logical VLANs or 2) duplicate Ethernet frames are a major
concern. SPANing multiple logical VLANs in a single switch *can* cause
multiple packets to be mirrored to a single egress mirror port.

- Adam P.