IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS in a loadbalanced Network

From: "Scholten, Jan" <jan.scholten () siemens com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 13:29:44 +0200

Hi *

Well I am not actually looking for a specific product, as i do some
research for a diploma thesis, but this thesis will probably used for
some kind of intrusion detection rollout (hopefully).

I am currentley searching for "good ways" to place IDS in our
datacenter. We have multiple STM-1 Conections to the internet, several
seperate server rooms which are connected by portchannels. We use
C6506-couples (for redundancy) as Backbone switches and C4006 as Access
Switches where the Servers connect. Each access switch is coupled to at
least two different backbone routers with trunks.
Apart from getting like a general how-bad-is-the-internet-overview, the
general plans of usage for an IDS are not elaborted only the typical "we
need a IDS to be secure" *sigh*

So it's kinda my job to show a scope for an IDS and some practical tips
of how to use an IDS here.

I'm not looking for a Cisco specific solution, but as we have lots of
Cisco equiptment i thought i' better mention that.

Some guys setup a little snort box to analyse Attacks from the internet,
and want to introduce another IDS in the backbone... Which is at least
in my eyes not the best place for a IDS, as there is lot of traffic, and
i believe some more bt smarter, better configured (better as it is
easier to setup/control rules for different VLANS/DMZ as for doing a
overall check)
Problem for me is now: specific Vlans may be present in different Server
Rooms connected from/to different switches. So there is no single switch
where a complete Vlan is sitting on, as this may be routed according to
L3 costs over different Backbone switches to the target access switch.

Uhh hope i described it not too confused, sorry for my medicore english.

Jan