IDS mailing list archives

Re: Re: TrafficIQ HTTP IE traffic coverage

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:22:48 -0500

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 09:44 +0530, Sanjay R wrote:
I am not trying to say that a particular IDS does not have signatures
for a IE DoS (only DoS, no command execution), and TrafficIQ includes
many of them, which is wrong. I think its not a big deal to write
signatures for IE related DoS attacks.

Well, a DoS can translate to loss of productivity which does have a
financial impact, so it shouldn't be dismissed completely.

But inclusion of these sigs is probably more important from a marketing
perspective. Most if not all IDSes on the market (including open source)
have coverage for client-based IE exploits, DoS or otherwise.

However, from a risk mitigation or protective security effort
perspective, these signatures are probably less relevant, unless the IDS
can magically follow all possible evasion paths. (Think SSL,
Zip/Compres/Deflate encoding, various semi-supported text encodings,
etc)

So while these IDSes may not detect well packaged exploits, they still
need to be able to write coverage for IE issues on the
marketing/performance charts.

Regards,
Frank

--