IDS mailing list archives

Tools to help incident response

From: Johnny Wong <johnnywkm () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:30:14 +0800

Hello,

I am part of the incident response team in my organization. Part of our daily task is to respond the virus/worm incidents by remote scanning the suspected machines. We have been using Stinger.exe from McAfee to do this. The pros of using Stinger are (1) it's lightweight, (2) it's command-line executed hence I could use Psexec with it. However, Stinger.exe hasn't been updated since May 06, and we have encountered situations where it failed to detect newer worm variants. Can anyone point me to other lightweight virus/worm scanners out there?

Secondly, we have been having problems with P2P software running in our networks. Time and again we have to use network logs to trace P2P-enabled machines and tell the owners of these machines to uninstall the offending software. Is there a scanning tool out there that can detect the presence of P2P software on a machine?

Thank you all,

J Wong
Singapore

Test Your IDS