IDS mailing list archives

Re: Scan for "outsider" Pcs on network

From: "Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:41:10 -0800

On 2 Mar 2006 23:47:59 -0000, dhamm () jackofallgames com
<dhamm () jackofallgames com> wrote:
Is there a way to setup a scan and be notified of an
intruding pc that is physically plugged into the network?
When you have an enviroment with a large amount of network
jacks, it's hard to make sure the ones no longer in use are turned
off, and that no "visitors" have sat down to use your network
connections, esp. if you have a large amount of contractors in and
out. It got me to searching the net, and so far I have found one
cemmercial product that can do it, but nothing else. Any suggestions?

Just one suggestion:

Write a script that visits all of your switches/routers and gets their
tables of pairs of ports and MAC addresses, then dump them into a
database. Schedule it to do this periodically, say every 5-10 minutes.
Kind of a roll-your-own distributed arpwatch, but it's what I'm doing
by hand for our 6 48-port Cisco switches. Unfortunately, I don't have
the scripting knowledge (Expect? PERL? Something else? SNMP, telnet or
maybe some other query method?) to do this, though I know people have
done it.

And, of course, the obligatory plea to share if you have such a script.

Kurt

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.