IDS mailing list archives

RE: Signatures taking down network

From: "Mike Barkett" <mbarkett () nfr com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:44:43 -0500

David -

I'll throw the NFR hat in the ring.  In this case, my opinions ARE
reflective of my employer's, and some product plugging does need to be done.
:)

First, check with your 3com/TP rep to make sure you have all the updates and
everything is configured properly.  This is a nightmare scenario for any IPS
vendor, and TP has already gotten a lot of bad press to which I believe they
have adequately responded.

Second, this underscores the value of a truly hybrid approach (stateful sigs
fused with protocol anomaly detection) for two reasons:

        1) Products that utilize true "0-day" type prevention require less
updates.  Not zero updates, but less.  The WMF example is already played
out, so I will use another recent one.  The "Qualcomm WorldMail IMAP Server
String Literal Processing Overflow Vulnerability" came out some time around
12/20/05.  NFR Sentivist detected and prevented this by default.  No
signature update required.  A less advanced system may have required another
sig, which could have meant another opportunity for a bug.

        2) A vendor with an engine like NFR's has to scramble much less than
one that must go into reaction mode.  Your question about QA applies here.
If a vendor releases a sig based on a vulnerability, well before a proof of
concept exists, then they have a little more breathing room to QA it
properly.  With the WMF bug (sorry), we saw a negative patch gap; that is, a
public exploit was released well before the OS was patched.  This meant
that, from the very beginning, the average Joe IT Guy was in a race with the
average Joe Script Kiddie, and the script kiddie got a head start.  It also
meant bad news for any reactive IPS vendors that needed to accelerate their
QA processes in order to continue protecting their customers.

Just one vendor's $0.02...

-MAB

--
(nfr)(security)