IDS mailing list archives

RE: Type of Attack Vector

From: "avi chesla" <chess4_4 () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 00:34:30 +0200

It is indeed not well documented.
The reason for that is maybe because stateful firewalls and IPS’s will simply drop ACK packets participating in this attack ,i.e., out-of-session Ack packets are dropped, thus the attack is prevented without any specific log that really identify it. Regarding in-session Fast Repeat Ack, this type is more difficult to accurately detect and prevent (but possible of course). Most firewalls and IPS will not detect it.
You can search for "Ack Storm", you might find more information about it

Avi C