IDS mailing list archives

Re: anomaly vs signature

From: "Rodrigo Blanco" <rodrigo.blanco.r () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 10:12:07 -0600

Hello,

with such a changing market, any "complete" product list might be
obsolete tomorrow... :-) also, bear in mind the different approaches
(host/network-based, detection/prevention, ...) but here you go, this
is quite a complete one:

http://www.honeypots.net/ids/products

IMHO, more vendors are still focused on signature systems, rather than
anomaly detection. But this should change in the future with more
vendors using multiple decision criteria ("hybrid" solutions).

A good example of a hybrid technology is McAfee Intrushield (IPS),
which combines signature and anomaly detection:

https://secure.nai.com/us/enterprise/products/network_intrusion_prevention/index.html

Best regards,
Rodrigo.