IDS mailing list archives

Re: Less well-known commercial IDS

From: Nick Black <dank () qemfd net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:04:24 -0400

Andrew Plato rigorously showed:
I think there are a lot of lower-cost IPSs. Some are good, some are
fair, many are lame. Symantec isn't one that comes to mind. It actually
is pretty expensive. My personal favorite is Fortinet. It's a UTM
(all-in-one) box. We sell A LOT of Fortinet and as a whole, customers
have been very pleased with its performance. And its IPS is based on
Snort, incidentally. Fortinet has the plus of having firewall,
anti-virus, VPN, and lots of other goodies as well.
I have heard good things about SecureWorks. However, they are a purely
managed IPS. I have one customer with Astaro, who says good things about
their product.

When I left Reflex Security last year, their Interceptor line was
entering maturity -- the UI was iffy, but I understand that's seen
drastic improvement. It offered an interesting cross-section of other
vendors' functionality, its most glaring shortcoming being an
incomplete SMB parser (the ISS employees on this list don't lie
regarding the wins had when sense is made from SMB's chaos).

There's a very, very intense and brilliant group of developers there,
and the addition of an attack research team made the product much
stronger. You may wish to check the Interceptor out.

(disclaimer: I wrote most of interceptor's code, but haven't worked for
  or held ownership in reflex since 2005.)

--
nick black        "i see, i see the evil hand of the big-endian mafia."