IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS vs. IPS deployment feedback

From: virtuale () hushmail com
Date: 20 Apr 2006 22:13:27 -0000

Paul,

we prefer to recommend blocking for a signature >after it has been in the field for a month or >two.

For a critical vulnerability, would you disagree that waiting a month or two to test a signature in the field before
deploying it is unacceptable?

vulnerability. The behavioral signatures match on >consistent elements of malware that we see >repeated regardless of
the vulnerability >exploited.

So the behavioural signatures detect malware and not vulnerabilities. Are there any behavioural signatures for
vulnerabilities?

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.