IDS mailing list archives

RE: location of an IPS

From: "Swift, David" <dswift () ipolicynetworks com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 07:23:06 -0700

Where to put an IPS depends on your network and what you want to do with
it.

Most IPS's need L2 connectivity to a LAN segment if you want to monitor
it. So...if your looking to monitor internal traffic, it will sit south
(protected side) of your firewall. At L3/Routing, an alternate path not
through the device (or dropping of broadcasts), may prevent the IPS from
seeing the attack.

Likewise you may have VPN termination on the firewall, and an IPS cannot
detect events in encrypted traffic streams (unless it is the VPN
termination point itself), so the device may be installed south of the
VPN concentrator.

Alternatively however, since most IPS boxes can also do DoS and DDoS
mitigation, you may want it north (unprotected side) of your firewall to
help screen/drop DoS/DDoS attacks.