IDS mailing list archives

Cisco IDS 4250 vs Sourcefire IS3000 + RNA Sensor

From: "Jonathan Gauntt" <jon0966 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:57:00 -0500

Hi,

We are currently running a Cisco IDS 4250 that monitors our internal
traffic.  We essentially use this device for historical reporting because we
are a medical oriented facility with at least 100 3rd party connections to
us besides the 8000 employees.

I am considering upgrading the Cisco IDS 4250 to the XL to handle higher
throughput but have been evaluating the Sourcefire IS300 and their RNA
sensor.

I have the ability to purchase the Sourcefire unit or upgrade the 4250.

Sourcefire claims that they are superior with state full IDS inspection and
an overall better product.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these two products?  I have about $100k in
my budget to spend.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.