IDS mailing list archives

RE: IPv6 support in IDS/IPS products

From: "Palmer, Paul (ISSAtlanta)" <PPalmer () iss net>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 14:53:12 -0500

I do not know anyone who has prepared a list of which IDS/IPS products
support IPv6 and to what extent. It sounds like a golden opportunity for
NSS to expand on their already world-class testing process and reports
;)

The vendors that support it will likely take this opportunity to chime
in. For our part, ISS supports IPv6. We recognize, report, and protect
against attacks within IPv6 itself as well as fully decode the protocol
to support all the different tunneling modes we have been able to
discover: Native 6, 6 in 6, 6 in 4, 4 in 6, 6 over UDP (Teredo), 6 over
GRE, 6 in GTP, 6 in 4 in GTP, 6 in 4 over GRE, etc. Any of our
algorithms that trigger on traffic transmitted over IPv4 would also
trigger if the traffic were transmitted over IPv6 or any of the various
tunnel configurations.

Paul