IDS mailing list archives

RE: Intrusion Prevention requirements document

From: "Chris Ralph" <cralph () karalon com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:10:11 -0000

Mike,

You make an excellent point.  Replay tools can be effective when used in the
right context because they are simple and time-saving as well as providing
controlled repeatable testing but it is important not to group all the tools
under the same banner such as pcap multipliers.

The ability for instance to replay 100's of malicious and standard protocol
files with user defined parameters without the need for additional hardware,
configuration or the huge amount research required to gather and validate
the binaries/exploits, is in my opinion and that of my clients very useful.

There are of course software solutions out there that purport to provide
load generation in the manner that you have described and these do need to
be used with care and understanding but Traffic IQ Pro is not one of them
and does not claim to be.

Tony