IDS mailing list archives

RE: Intrusion Prevention requirements document

From: "Tony Haywood" <thaywood () karalon com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 22:52:43 -0000

IDS Informer like Traffic IQ Pro is an advanced packet replay tool and can
be used to validate inline and passive intrusion detection/prevention
systems.

In both instances the applications have no concept of the device being
tested and therefore has no understanding on the outcome of the attack, it
is just generating the traffic, the only information it has is if any of the
packets are failed to be delivered.

A successful attack within both applications is based on whether or not all
of the packets in the traffic files were received by the opposing network
card.  The difference between the successful and unsuccessful traffic files
themselves is, as you correctly pointed out, based on whether the particular
attack/exploit was successful.  In many cases it is important for an IDS/IDP
to know the difference.  Taking a simple example such as the DNS Zone
Transfers - escalation procedures may require remediation work if an IP
other than a secondary DNS was able to transfer zone details.  In this case
the successful file would be used.   If on the other hand you wanted to
ensure that all unsuccessful attempts were logged but not acted upon then
you would use the unsuccessful event.  In both cases an IDS/IDP should be
able to differentiate between the two and alert accordingly.

Your second point in relation to attack detection and false positives is
interesting.  It is well known that network based intrusion
detection/prevention systems can be produce a high degree of false positives
and unfortunately IDS Informer can add to that as it will attempt to replay
the remainder of an attack even though it has already been detected and
blocked.  Traffic IQ Pro does not have this problem and will not cause
additional false positives.

The second part of your question is more of a theological debate however.
From a standpoint of "all attacks should be detected and blocked prior to
execution" I would expect an IDS to detect the attack prior to it reaching a
point that could cause a compromise to my internal/protected systems
although this is not always possible.  In some cases though it is best to
let the attack take its natural course for evidential purposes.  For me, if
an attack succeeds then its too late, the damage has been done.

It is worth pointing out that in many cases it is not possible to detect an
attack at the point of inception as there is not enough information
available to make an accurate determination.

There is a bug in IDS Informer that prevents it from displaying the correct
information in certain scenarios.  This can lead to different information
being displayed for an audit and packet level report of the same event.

Traffic IQ Pro does not exhibit this flaw.  Using Traffic IQ Pro it is
possible to run an audit level report for multiple files to determine which
succeed and which fail.  Then typically a packet level report would be run
on the ones that failed to determine at which point they failed to see if
the detection point is acceptable.   For instance, blocking an attack at
packet 47 when the attack can be run in 46 is not very useful.

Regards

Tony