IDS mailing list archives

RE: Value of IDS, ROI

From: "Ed Gibbs" <ed () digitalconclave com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 17:10:32 -0700

Jason,

Positioning IDS/IPS to the CxO level if very difficult, because the return
is basically not realized until the product actually proves itself by
preventing or detecting something significant.  Things to bring up include:

*       Capital Cost: sensor(s), management software, additional hardware,
maintenance
*       Operational Cost: installation, policy implementation,
tuning/analysis, software/hardware updates, monitoring, remote management,
personal, etc.
*       Business Benefit
        - Cost of not detecting/preventing attacks (risk)
        - Cost of downtime including manpower and disruption in
business/productivity
        - Attack recovery cost

 Risk, in this case, is defined as a measurement of uncertainty around a
given investment in technology.  Uncertainty is measured from several
perspectives: one is the likelihood that he technoogy will not perform as
expected.  This impacts cost and benefit estimates by potentially reducing
the benefits that will ultimately be achieved as well as increasing the
costs of the investment.  Second, lack of accountability and incentive to
measure the success of the investment, particularly enterprise wide
benefits, will ultimately result in lack of a demonstrated return.

 I like to use the auto insurance scenario, because it's something that we
don't see any return on unless something happens, then we ultimately need
it.

I have more information and example spreadsheets on how to calculate capital
cost, operational cost, and benefits if you would like a copy.  You also may
want to consider investing your money in IPS, rather than IDS.  The majority
of IPS products today can still be used as an IDS, however, you have the
option of going in-line and blocking attacks rather than just detecting,
which will go further.  McAfee IntruShield, TippingPoint UnityOne, ISS
RealSecure, NitroSecurity, and others are well worth the investment.

-Ed
760-687-6768
ed () digitalconclave com
IPS Experts