IDS mailing list archives

RE: SIM Tools, and endpoint security.

From: THolman () toplayer com
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 17:55:29 -0400

Hi Drew,

I'm referring to Windows File Protection -

This is configurable via Group Policy and offers 100% protection of system
files on the intended target.

..add to this Windows XP SP2, then you've got a pretty rock solid
workstation base that is not open to infection (as the firewall doesn't
allow anything in), and maintains integrity of system files (so malicious
code can't take over the system).

There's quite a lot more to Microsoft's OS security that often gets
overlooked, and many sysadmins are steered away from this with clever
marcoms and end up buying 3rd party applications to fill the gap.

My point is, be 100% sure that what you've got cannot do what you want,
before you go and buy something else!  ;)

Regards,

Tim