IDS mailing list archives

Re: Need some information on HIDS!

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:43:27 -0600

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 13:48 -0500, SecurIT Informatique Inc. wrote:
Hello.  I have already invoked such a scenario in some of my previous IDS
work/articles.  What I had in mind is something like encrypting the whole
network traffic, to prevent sniffing from intruders (let's say wall-to-wall
SSH, for example).  In such an environment, if you still wanted to keep
some NIDS capabilities, you'd actually have to install NIDS software (Snort
comes to mind) on every host on the network, in non-promiscuous mode (since
sniffing the rest of the network traffic is useless, since it is encrypted).

Non-promiscuous mode shouldn't matter. If you sniff on the network
interface, you are still only sniffing encrypted traffic.

The only way I can see this work, which may be the direction you're
heading and what you are proposing here, is to sniff traffic on the
loop-back adapter.

If you sniff on lo0, you will most likely see your SSH tunneled traffic
in unencrypted form. However, what about application/services that do
not run through lo0? Encrypted traffic from/to these apps, sent and
received only through the NIC, is not monitored since it is encrypted.

Sniffing on lo0 will give you interesting traffic worth watching. Of
course you may find yourself dealing with bandwidth issues as you
suspected.

But since you are already on the host, why not monitor syscalls and
applications directly?

Cheers,
Frank