IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS/IPS Management devices

From: "Dante Mercurio" <Dante () webcti com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:39:34 -0500

Best practices would dictate the management device is on a separate
segment with strong access control with only the necessary access to
manage the devices and receive logs. This is for both the prevention of
an attack on it and the compromise of any logging data it might contain.

That being said, from the Cisco side which I am most familiar with, the
CSA agent is installed on the VMS management console with a pretty
restrictive rule set and the management device is locked down pretty
tight. I still try to put it on a separate segment whenever I can.

M. Dante Mercurio, CISSP, CWNA, Security+