IDS mailing list archives

RE: eEye Blink and other Endpoint IPS solutions.

From: Mark Teicher <mht3 () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:19:38 -0400

Oh boy.

Host-based IPS market:

Sygate Enterprise Secure (more security policy centric, refer to SNAC To Go(tm) as their new marketing states Cisco Security Agent/CiscoWorks (you need to install Cisco Common Network Services in order for the Cisco Secure Management Console to install correctly) eEye Blink (2.0 seems a lot better, than 1.0, but still not on par with Sygate or Cisco, and has some scaleability issues after x number of endpoints)
Network Associates Entercept 5.0+
ISS Proventia for Desktop/Site Protector (their scaleability seems above par than most but yet to incorporate SQL replication efficiently into the Site Protector console, it leaves this portion as an exercise for the Security Admin to script up)
Computer Associates Entrust
Sana Security
Prevx

Each one has it plus/minuses, and depending on what feature set or problem one is trying to solve.

Fortinet is more network IPS than endpoint, although I have heard enterprises shipping Fortinet 50's to end users as a end-point solution, but that is more to avoid operating system interoperability issues with VPN software than anything else, since some organizations still support end of life operating systems from Microsoft.

At 05:43 AM 7/1/2005, mashraf () hushmail com wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:25:03 -0700 "Palmer, Paul (ISSAtlanta)"
<PPalmer () iss net> wrote:
>Mina writes:
>
>"On the plus side it makes evaluating the options much easier when

>there seem to be only Cisco and eEye in the marketplace :)"
>
>ISS also provides HIPS products. I work for ISS, so I have a high
>opinion of our products.
>
>If I recall correctly, McAfee also sells a HIPS product.

I feel so stupid now, I shouldn't have written that. I realised I'd
forgotten McAfee as soon as I sent the email and they are actually
my favourite so far. Other recommendations have been Fortigate and
NetIQ.

An ISS partner described the IPS as a patch for RealSecure IDS to
my I.T. Director which makes it difficult for me but I will
investigate further as they've also been independently recommended.
Thanks again everyone.
Mina

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.