IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS alerts / second - Correlation - Virtualization

From: Ron Gula <rgula () tenablesecurity com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:53:50 -0400

At 07:38 PM 7/25/2005, william taft wrote:
I completely agree with Frank here...scanning technologies are
interesting to get a snapshot, but by definition they miss all kinds
of things:

- devices/workstations/servers which are 'off' or offline when the
scan is performed.
- software/servers installed after the scan
- hw positioned behind FWs which might be blocking the scans
- new hw (laptops, etc.) or hw behind a wifi
- partner network links and the hw on that network
- false/poor OS information generated by odd hw configurations/OS tweaks

Also, agree with Frank re: value of detecting compromises.  I'm not a
fan of alerts, but i think it's important to know that an asset had
been subjected to an attack (even if that attack is targeting the
wrong OS/vulnerability/etc.)  maybe it makes more sense to use an
asset database to de-prioritize unsuccessful alerts, but it doesn't
make sense (to me anyway) to not report on an attempted attack...

This is pretty much our strategy with the NeVO sensor and Lightning
Console. NeVO passively sees traffic and can give you very realtime
information about systems and vulnerabilities without any scanning.
Lightning can than take IDS events from Snort, ISS, .etc and correlate
these to find events which target vulnerable applications. In some
cases, NeVO also detects compromised systems based on specific rules
designed to evaluate the responses from servers it has discovered.

Ron Gula, CTO
Tenable Network Security

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?