IDS mailing list archives

Re: IPS comparison

From: Stefano Zanero <s.zanero () securenetwork it>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:58:32 +0200

Sanjay Rawat wrote:
Hi Stefano:
I got confused over one comment made by you: "First hint of the day: if
there is a regexp there, it's NOT anomaly
detection." why it is so? I can use association or frequent episode
rules to capture normal behavior (you know this), and I can use regexp
to represent such rules.

Let me rephrase my comment then:

"If there is a GIVEN SET of regexp there, it's not anomaly detection"

If you create an induction algorithm for GENERATING a set of rules
describing normal behavior, you are creating an anomaly detection
system; if you instead give your customer a predefined set of rules to
match his traffic against, you cannot be far away from simple "protocol
anomaly detection" systems.

Best,
Stefano Zanero
Secure Network S.r.l.
www.securenetwork.it

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.