IDS mailing list archives

RE: IPS comparison

From: "Joseph Hamm" <jhamm () lancope com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:15:52 -0400

- I agree that "anomaly detection" != "zero day" detection. Just
because
  my DNS server starts to connect to all the other hosts on my
network,
  doesn't mean it has got a worm on it.

It might if your DNS server doesn't normally do this.  Consider a
network anomaly detection system that profiled your network and created
unique usage/behavioral profiles for each host (including Ron's DNS
server).  You've told the box how your internal address space is defined
so now the box also knows your network's "dark" or unused address space.

(Defined internal address space) - (active hosts seen) = Unused or
"Dark" IP space

Now consider that your DNS server gets infected with a new worm and
starts scanning nearby hosts.  A smart NADS (network anomaly detection
system) will be able to quickly determine that this host is scanning
your dark address space (honeynet concept).  Any activity being directed
at this unused space can be assumed to be suspect.

Also, consider the port being used.  If this is not a port that the DNS
server normally uses, then that would be suspect as well.  Not to
mention all of the tcp resets or icmp port unreachables (in the case of
UDP) that the DNS server will receive as it scans across your network.

Check out the whitepapers published by NADS vendors that outline cases
where new "zero-day" worms were detected before signatures became
available.  I agree that marketing departments squeeze all they can out
of zero-day, but I can at least vouch that our SteatlhWatch products
detected Zotob (and its variants) without the need for any signature
updates.  This means customers had early detection before signatures
were available.  I'm sure there are some other vendors out there that
can report the same.  Even signature based solutions can tout this if
they write sigs for the vulnerability as opposed to the exploit.

Joe

Joe Hamm, CISSP
Senior Security Engineer
Lancope, Inc.
jhamm () lancope com
404.644.7227  (cell)
770.225.6509   (fax)

Lancope - Security through Network Intelligence(tm)
StealthWatch(tm) by Lancope, a next-generation network security
solution, delivers behavior-based intrusion detection, policy
enforcement and insightful network analysis.  Visit www.lancope.com.