IDS mailing list archives

RE: using HIDS for change control

From: "Rivera,Angel L." <ARIVERA () mitre org>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:21:09 -0400

It has been a while since I used Tripwire but I believe you manually
run it

to detect changes - I think HIDS have two components - one checks at
the

network level - the other looks at system logs for specific events -
both in

close to real time. One assumption is that system logs are recording

changes to system configuration settings - Advantage of HIDS is the

detection in real time of this change - it also eases the burden of
having

to run tripwire repeatedly. The security person only needs to run
tripwire

if it detects a HIDS alert.