IDS mailing list archives

Re: IPS technology question.

From: planz <planz2009 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:13:40 +0800

I don't get, what do you mean by "Percentage", since we have uncounted number of vendors/brands of IPS today.

If you look at the technology angle, the vendors who are offering both Software and Appliance versions of the same IPS, falls into the first category. To take a look back at the market, we find only very few vendors, like ISS, Snort, Dragon, ...hmmm.. Can somebody help to fill-up the list.

Whether it is IDS or IPS, it is important to look at the Detection Technology. If it cannot detect, how can it alert or prevent?

In an IPS world, firewall plays behind the scenes; since the IDS is configuring the built-in firewall feature to block.

snort user wrote:

Greetings.

What percentage of the IPS systems are out there, which does not use
co-processors/FPGA etc..

What percentage of the IPS systems depend on firewalls like iptables
and ip filter ?

I am just trying to get an idea of what is the state of art in the IPS
technology space.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

Test Your IDS