IDS mailing list archives

Re: Sniffing split connections

From: rusty chiles <rustychiles () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:51:21 -0700

You could always use the linux kernels bonding feature.

It will take 2 ethernet interfaces and trunk the traffic flowing
through them into a virtual interface that you can tell snort to
listen on.

Example

All traffic from eth1 and eth2 will be combined to a virtual interface
device called bond0.

To set this up you would do something similar to this:
#load the bonding kernel module
modprobe bonding
#bring up your interfaces that can see the traffic in promiscous mode
ifconfig eth1 promisc -arp up
ifconfig eth2 promisc -arp up
#bring up the bonding interface
ifconfig bond0 promisc -arp up
#enslave eth1 and eth2 to the bond0 interface
ifenslave bond0 eth1
ifenslave bond0 eth2

Now instead of telling snort to run on eth1 or eth2 etc you will need
to tell it to run on bond0.

If all works you should see all traffic from eth1 and eth2 on bond0.

Hope this helps.

-Rusty