IDS mailing list archives

Sniffing split connections

From: Chris Mills <securinate () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:37:29 -0500

Hi all-

Here's the problem I'm having:

I have a client site that has two physical connections from its ATM
switch that connect to two different providers. The ATM switch uses
both connections all the time (not set up as a failover.) The ATM
switch at the site will not let me mirror the ports so I can't sniff
there... and after the two providers, the connection is too fast for
my equipment. I am using Snort 2.3.2 on PowerEdge 1750's. If I place a
sniffer at both provider A and provider B, is there a way I can
reassemble the traffic so I can see complete sessions? The two
providers are on different sides of town.

               |--------|PROVIDER A|\
Client Site|                          |-----------|INTERNET|
               |--------|PROVIDER B|/

Thanks very much,

Chris

Stop hurting your network!

The NeVO passive vulnerability sensor continuously finds vulnerabilities,
applications and new hosts without the need for network scanning.
It also finds compromised systems with application-based intrusion detection.
Go to http://www.tenablesecurity.com/products/nevo.shtml to learn more.