IDS mailing list archives

Re: IPS, alternative solutions

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 06:04:36 +0530

On 22/09/04 12:22 -0400, Mike Frantzen wrote:

The way I see it, an IPS can attempt to contain your infestation and
help reduce your legal exposure from outbound attacks that would
otherwise make it to your partners... This is a value I can quantify and
the best use case I have seen for IPS. The problem I have with it is
that a properly implemented firewall can most likely do the same and
provide much better overall value.

One of the spots where an IPS beats a firewall hands down is on the
interior of a large organization.  I've seen too many large
disfunctional companies that compartmentalize their departments by
placing firewalls between each and every one.  Marketing and sales can't

Which is broken behaviour in the name of security. People who need
access to certain data for normal work related purposes must be given
such access. Those who don't need access should not be given such
access.
I believe that this type of issue is largely caused by people equating
firewalls with simple packet filters.

access engineering project schedules and feature lists on the
engineering web server.  Engineering can't access the support database
to look for common issues and trends.  No one can access their
department's machines from their laptop when in a conference room...
etc etc

Actually, that is broken firewall design and/or implementation. If the
requirements of the various customers are not met, then the firewall
is just an impediment to work, or it lets too much traffic through.

In such cases, the company should be using proxies with proper
authentication and logging to regulate traffic flow (IMHO firewalls
should be a combination of packet filters and proxies anyway).

We end up with an authoritarian system where the firewalls inhibit the
communication inside the company.  An IPS can maintain the security
compartmentalization and containment without impeding the free flow of
information between departments.

No. an IPS is just an attempt at a proxy looking for bad things. In my
book, this is equivalent to filtering untrusted user input for bad stuff
instead of limiting it to known good stuff and removing the rest.

This should not be acceptable behaviour for security enforcement
management and/or personnel.

Devdas Bhagat

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.