IDS mailing list archives

Re: IPS, alternative solutions

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:23:57 -0400

Yes, defense in depth is good. I do not question that an inline IPS can add value. I question that it actually adds value in the classic deployment and personally believe that it cannot add value until after you have completed assembling the rest of the solution. I started this discussion off with how does an IPS show an ROI when compared to dedicating the same resources to patch and configuration management?

At what point should the IPS be deployed? Before Patch Management? Before effective monitoring? Before policy compliance is evaluated and corrected?

You also bring up some points that I think are incompatible with your position and apparent goal. I will discuss them inline.

p z wrote:

Here are some points to consider, some rehashed, some new, but the
bottom line is defense in depth i think (so which ips to evaluate??
why that one?)

1.  FW and Router ACLs are clearly insufficient.  Anything can tunnel
over port 80 or 53 or 443.  Checkpoint AI is not capable of plugging
these holes, so even that's not a solution.

I am assuming we are talking about an insider and not establishing an inbound comms channel to a service that would have to be compromised to work. There is no tunneling to valid services through any access control device if that service is not already compromised. Any decent proxy based system can still assist in this case by allowing known good and valid communications. Maintenance can be a concern in large environments but that becomes a matter of policy. If it is worth spending $50K on a device to scrub packets then it is likely worth spending $25K in man hours knowing what should be there in the first place and the other $25K in configuring known good communications with the service.

There is nothing that can read into an SSL tunnel over 443 or any other port for that matter that has been established through your firewall/ips/whatever. You do not control the keys, the best you can do is prevent any communications that do not have a known key. This is problematic since you then prevent any secure communications with the world. The approach works for tightly controlled segments _inbound_ where you can control the keys and provide them to a packet scrubbing device like Intrushield. Interestingly, they are the only inline player with that capability that I am aware of and they have even proven it to work in the classic SSL webserver deployment. I unfortunately fail to see where inline IPS adds value here and instead see it as additional risk when compared to using an accelerator and doing normal inspection.

2.  Patch management makes a ton of sense on workstations, except if
the patches break applications during regression testing or worse,
during deployment (SP2 anyone?)  Also, patch management requires that
a patch is available prior to an exploit hitting the target.  Plus, on
server farms, patch management is even tougher because some patches
can cause system instabilities or performance problems.  So patch
management isn't the answer.

Patch and configuration management is certainly near the very beginning of a complete answer. In a majority of big cases that the inline IPS claims to add value a patch was available for weeks if not months before the attack happened.

Proper asset and configuration management significantly reduces exposure and improves reliability across the board bringing value to the organization as a whole. Ignoring this aspect of the solution is like trying to speed up the performance of a graphics intensive game without looking at the video card.

How does the IPS show value over dedicating those same resources to patch and configuration management in a timely and effective manner?

3.  IDS system are great at generating a ton of false positives when
they're populated with attack patterns (hopefully in advance of those
attack patterns.) Plus the entire concept of IDS is all about alerting
to attack that has been completed.

If you look at IDS in a limited scope of signatures and post faco alerting you might be able to make that statement stand. Effective intrusion monitoring goes well beyond signatures and alerts and gets more into policy and compliance.

The false positives problem can easily be managed and noise significantly reduced when you add context to the problem. Without automated context you have to apply human context, it is ultimately a trade off in people or tuning, automated or manual.

Remove context and it is still lacking for the IPS too. The false positive problem still exists. In my experience most of the IPS products have a limited number attacks which can be detected with better than a predicted 95% accuracy rate. Of the attacks that have a high confidence of accuracy most of them are so outdated that they are useless to block as they should be mitigated other ways. How has the false positive problem been removed from the inline IPS solution?

4.  Gateway devices like AV systems are great for specialized
functions such as AV, but as with patch management, you need to stay
ahead of the latest worm (industry results aren't exactly comforting.)

As is the problem with any product be it Patching, AV, IDS, IPS... This is the core of the problem and the majority of the issues can be tracked back to a root cause of failure to maintain the patches and configuration of the attacked systems. The IPS is still dependent on the update. How has the IPS resolved this problem?

5.  Anomaly detection.  Statistics is great for economists but my
networks push a terabyte of data/day.  do i need something that will
flag .1% of my traffic?  and still not tell me what the problem might
be?  slow moving worms and slow attackers constantly bypass these
things.

This and the IDS statement above make be believe that a review of better products is in order. There are certainly products that can detect anomalies from worms and slow attackers and tell you where the root of the problem originates. This is a failure in the human element to investigate further and is not solved by an inline IPS. Until the resources are made available to solve this problem it exist with the IPS too.

6.  Netflow (and equiv) are great at counting packets assuming you've
already detected something like "sluggish" network performance on a
particular segment (or worse across the network.)  but it doesn't
define what the problem is about or how to remediate the problem. what if port 445 is being exploited (which it is of course)? is
closing down 445 the answer?  not on most MS shop networks.

Depends on the problem, I bet very few workstations need this service or any other service available over the network. Proper configuration will significantly reduce the scope of the problem and allow you to focus on the systems that are truly threatened. An IPS will not solve this problem for you.

so then why IPS? maybe to fill in the gaps left by the above systems
and maybe move away from reactive ideas (ids, netflow, anomaly
detection) towards proactive monitoring and protection.  another
reason? defense in depth.  you have to have a layered defense.  if you
rely on patch management or fw/ids alone, you're leaving too big a gap
in defense, aren't you?

The problem is that I have not seen where an ROI can be demonstrated that actually fills in those gaps. In order to effectively achieve proactive monitoring and protection you have to deploy everywhere in the network where a risk is presented. You cannot get an inline technology deep enough into the network to actually achieve decent protection and certainly not deep enough to achieve effective monitoring. If you were successful in deploying an IPS deep enough into the network to come close to adequate protection you effectively launch the ROI to the international space station.

ok so all that said, which IPS to evaluate or buy?  which actually
perform properly?  if not ips, what else to use? i stopped using an
ids completely because i couldn't keep up with the false positives
(tried snort and two commercial vendor products...different reports
similar false positives in a tuned configuration.)

It is unfortunate but I believe you will have the same problems with an IPS. Without the resources to add context and analyze the information being presented the problem area simply shifts. You will still have to do all the other steps to have a reasonable expectation of system security. You will still have false positives. You will still have limited coverage. You will still have vulnerable systems. You will still have poorly configured systems...

peter