IDS mailing list archives

Re: Wishlist for IPS Products

From: David Maynor <dmaynor () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:58:15 -0400

Claims don't really mean much to me. After going through the song and
dance sales pitch of most IPS vendors that claim serious protection
but instead only offer a false sense of security I am a bit jaded.
False negatives in Tipping Point are as plentiful as beer in Germany.
You want an example? Take a jpeg and somewhere in it embed an
offending guid from ms03-026 or ms03-039. Copy this jpeg between two
windows machines over file sharing. Viola, tipping point just fired
the sig over the the pic being copied.

If they had real protocol parsing this would not be possible.

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:28:58 -0400, idswizard () earthlink net