IDS mailing list archives

RE: Wishlist for IPS Products

From: "Paine, Steve" <Steve.Paine () ish com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:59:46 +0200

Having been through the IPS purchasing cycle, I can input my thoughts.
(personal of course)

I think the next big step in IPS will be packet correction/content
correction.
Currently most IPS's are packet-based filters passing or dropping packets
only.

So my wish for next-gen IPS is:
We need to be able to cover content checking for non-time critical flows.
Email, HTTP.
This will allow to check
- cross-site scripting issues.
- gzip encoded content checking for html, mime etc. (requires full-stream
buffering!)
- email viruses/spam signature check

For the future:

IN effect, the ultimate consumer product would be a combination of all
in-line device activities into one unit. However, I cant see these market
segments converging very quickly as there's too many people making too much
money out of dedicated devices.

My ideal in-line policer would have:
Basic port-based stateful firewall
Intrusion prevention by signature
Intrusion prevention by anomoly (using historical traffic profiling)
Anti-virus capabilties (offload to external content scanner?)
DOS prevention and DOS traceback assistance.
Traffic policing/shaping on protocol deep-inspection basis (not just
policing TCP port numbers - this is a requirement for the ever-moving P2P
polcing challenge)
billing/statistics output (for usage based services)
Web-site blocking
Traffic analysis, growth, projections, analysis - per protocol.
Lawful interception interfaces for ISP's.
Assymetric traffic capability.

Plus all the normal requirements for an in-line device:
Gbps throughput.
Gigabit ports. (optical)
Minimal latency (<2ms)
Drop-in architecture (bridge mode)
High availability mode (active-standby)
Load-sharing mode (active-active)
240v or 48v operation with dual PSU.
Management lan interface (10/100)
Graphical user interface
Syslog output.
SNMP trap output.
SNMP management capability.
NTP time syncing.
19" rack mountable
Live update of ruleset and signatures. (no downtime)
Minimal downtime for OS upgrades.

Hope this helps the manufacturers. It probably helps those looking for a
device too!!

Steve.