IDS mailing list archives

RE: Firewall vs. IPS - Differences now (ISS, Intrushield 2.1?)

From: Jose Maria Lopez <jkerouac () bgsec com>
Date: 05 Sep 2004 22:43:16 +0200

El lun, 30 de 08 de 2004 a las 23:27, Bob Walder escribió:

The only REAL question is who will win the race to product the perfect
integrated device - the firewall guys or the IDS/IPS guys?

That's where you can stick your neck out ;o)

Regards,

Bob Walder
The NSS Group
www.nss.co.uk

My personal point of view is that the REAL question it's that
there is no question. If you want real security at your site
you should have a good firewall and after that a good IPS, and
to complete the team an IDS out of the secure zone, just to see
who's knocking at your door or watching new attacks. Everything
else is just cheap talk from the marketing guys at the
Firewall/IPS/IDS companies.

--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC

like fabulous yellow Roman candles.
                -- Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.