IDS mailing list archives

RE: ISS Siteprotector as syslog server?

From: <PPowenski () oag com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:17:41 -0000

As an ISS user I would like to confirm all that was said in this note.

We are using ISS components.
We purchased the 'firewall' third party module and had NO options after
installation of our choices to pull data in from the firewall. We
received a small set of smart defense alerts from checkpoint
Secureplatform NG R55 and nothing more with no options either.

If you read the salesheet it 'suggest' you can (more options are
available if you use a CISCO PIX), but if you read the technical spec
and the installation manual it is quite a different story at least for
checkpoint.

We were told for syslog events i.e. from snort we could get the
third-party 'adapter' instead of or in addition to the module, but have
not seen it for sale on the website of their products... Do not know if
it is really for sale. An ISS tech rep. advised us on this software
module.

The best thing anyone can do in this market is READ ALL THE DOCUMENTS
and READ IT VERY VERY CAREFULLY. If you can get the box or software
in-house and verify as well....

Cheers
paul