IDS mailing list archives

Re: Suggestions

From: Rishikesh Pande <rpande () vt edu>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 10:16:17 -0400

You may want to look at some of the research done by Matthew Williamson at HP labs. They introduced the concept of virus throttling, which does not involve any AI logic but still is *proven* to be effective for known and unknown threats. Of course, there are ways of flying under the radar, but then the effectiveness of the worm will decrease. Though I personally like the concept of A.I. being used for intrusion prediction, I have not seen a good prediction logic yet. Though it may simply be the task of putting it all together and coming up with a better system by simply borrowing from several different ideas.
Rishi