IDS mailing list archives

RE: Suggestions

From: "Rishi Pande" <rpande () vt edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:21:03 -0400

My very basic knowledge of the Pearson's coefficient leads me to believe
that there is not much similar between spatial autocorrelation and the
Pearson's coefficient.
Pearson's coefficient measures the relation between two variables on the
same object.
Spatial autocorrelation, on the other hand, measures the correlation between
the instances of the effect under measurement (in my case, instances of worm
occurrences) with respect to 2-D space. We considered geographical and
topological orientations for the space.
My work was more focused on helping to predict the spread of a worm.
Actually bringing it into implementation will involve multiple
characteristics coming into play including some you mentioned. However
during design of the implementation product, I concentrated on network level
issues for detection of an intrusion: dramatic rise of traffic on a port,
high number of small transmissions from outside networks, etc. We also
thought about opening a second "emergency" line of communication to a global
warning source such as CERT, D-shield, etc.
Rishi