IDS mailing list archives

Re: Alarm response strategies

From: "David W. Goodrum" <dgoodrum () nfr com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:25:45 -0400

I think the "convergence" you mention below has already happened. Have you seen an IPS device that doesn't do "detection only", if that's what the customer wants? Most people implement IPS in stages. They are scared of the capability so they let it run in passive (detection only) mode for a while to see what it alerts on and to tune it appropriately. Then, after some period of time, they trust the detection to be accurate, and begin to turn on prevention components. Sometimes a little at a time, sometimes by category... but rarely is it across the board. i.e. they're getting some alerts that may still contain a few false positives, but some alerts that are dead on 100% of the time. I work for NFR, so I'll give you an NFR example of how we help users adjust to using IPS strategies vs IDS strategies. In NFR's new IPS device, we have implemented a new feature called a "confidence level". It's how confident we are that what we alerted on was NOT a false positive. So, once users get comfortable, they can say, "block everything with a confidence level greater than 90%." or something like that. And, assuming it was tcp based, they can also choose to blackhole those IP addresses. Not to just pump up NFR's product though; I have seen other company's IPS devices that do similar strategies, such as "block everything with a classification of worm". Also, I believe most good IPS systems on the market today have a whitelist. Customers should use those whitelists to prevent spoofed TCP attacks also (spoofing the 3-way handshake is difficult, but it is not impossible). If you client-side whitelist your critical servers, you won't have to worry about somebody spoofing their IP addresses, thus removing the risk of a self-inflicted Denial of Service.

So, in short, everybody I've talked to is already looking for an IPS that gives them all the benefits of IDS, PLUS the ability to block things that they know for sure they want to block, such as worms, viri, etc. Your "convergence" is already here.

-dave

Rob Shein wrote:

I completely agree that you can have reactive systems.  With regard to how
this differs from an IPS, however, look at my post to the thread titled "IPS
Futures".  An IPS is significantly different from an IDS with active
response enabled, and I feel a lot more comfortable with how they behave.
But be mindful that even these are largely nascent technologies that even
now can be a headache.  And I'm not sure quite what your point was about the
firewall...

As for "smart reactive system," define "smart."  Obviously things can be set
up incorrectly, but what's the other end of the spectrum?  As far as a true
IDS, I can't recall one that I've worked with that I would trust with that
capability as of yet.  What I do see happening is for IPS and IDS to
converge to some degree, so that we can have the larger alert capability of
an IDS combined with the proactive (couldn't think of a better word to
offset reactive...just plain active, perhaps?) capability of an inline IPS.
This would give variable options for reacting to various types of attacks,
as well as more flexibility to configure the overall system to meet one's
needs.