IDS mailing list archives

RE: SSL and IPS (was RE: ssh and ids)

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:28:51 -0400

To determine the symmetric key that results from a DH exchange, all you need
is the private key of one party (provided here by key escrow, as Peter
Schawacker described) and the public key of the other party (captured off
the wire).  You then perform the same calculation as the party whose private
key you hold, and voila; you become a third party with the symmetric key.
This is exactly why private keys are so sensitive, and there's nothing
miraculous about it.  The same goes for any rekeys, which are also done with
DH.  They aren't breaking DH, they're just taking advantage of the fact that
their device is, like the SSL server, a trusted device which is granted
access to private keys.