IDS mailing list archives

Re: SSL and IPS (was RE: ssh and ids)

From: "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw () wittsend com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:28:58 -0400

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 01:39:38PM -0700, Peter_Schawacker () NAI com wrote:
Rob,

        :

I think we've taken this topic as far as we can on this list.  There is
no question that the technology works -- we've had it in beta in real
world networks. The most important question is, "How will the market
value this technology?"  Only real-world implementations and time will
tell.  Let's just let the market decide the value of IPS decryption,
shall we?

        You're right...  Let's test it.

        I've put up the challenge.  I'll set up a secure web server
on a separate IP address and secure with a cert.  I'll provide you
with the private key, with no password, and the certificate, and
a tcpdump of all the traffic to and from that IP address.  You
just provide back all the clear text.  That should be simple.  Yes?
If you can do that, given the private key of the server, then you
have proven your point.  And THAT'S real world.  I can have it done
tonight.

Thanks, Mike (ISS), Marty (Sourcefire) and Jason (Sourcefire) for your
questions and comments.  Let's have this chat again six months from now.
;-)

Over and out.

Peter Schawacker, CISSP
Technical Evangelist
McAfee
Office 760 200 4258
Mobile 760 880 4258
ps () nai com

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw () WittsEnd com
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/