IDS mailing list archives

RE: Are sophisticated attacks just FUD?

From: "Chuck Herrin" <me () chuckherrin com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:56:49 -0400

I would think that last week's Scob attack against Internet Explorer
is clear (and recent!) evidence that sophisticated attacks take place
"in the wild".  Also, anyone who has ever had to fire a technically
sound administrator should be aware that a motivated employee (or
worse, ex-employee) has intimate knowledge of the network and can
easily leverage that into doing some real damage.  I myself have been
a responder on multiple attacks that I consider "sophisticated" that
may have been prevented or at least noticed earlier if an IDS/IPS had
been in place.

Maybe you should set out an attractive, fairly well-secured honeypot
and come back in a couple of weeks to show him that while most of the
attacks were Skiddies, some are worth investing $$ into preventing.
If you make the target attractive enough, the h4x0rs will come.  Just
a matter of time.

Chuck Herrin, CISSP, MCSE, CEH

All outgoing correspondence is digitally signed.  Lack of a digital
signature indicates possible forgery.
Get my public key at www.chuckherrin.com/ChuckHerrin.asc