IDS mailing list archives

RE: Taps supporting traffic aggregation ...

From: <William_Boyle () NAI com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:24:53 -0800

Funny, someone just brought this to my attention 2 days ago.

NetOptics has a 10/100 copper tap that aggregates the link.  It uses a
1Mb buffer on each interface to handle spikes.

Part Number Description
96443 10/100 Port Aggregator Tap, Rack-mount
96444 10/100 Port Aggregator Tap, PCI
96445 10/100 Port Aggregator Tap w/Active Response, Rack-mount
96446 10/100 Port Aggregator Tap w/Active Response, PCI
Accessories:
96045 19" Rack Frame, Holds 3 Rack-mount Taps
96041 19" Rack Frame, Holds 12 Rack-mount Taps

If you are looking for anything larger than 100Mbps or a phy other than
RJ45 then you are looking at a decent switch that has the ability to
mirror.

You still have the problem that port buffers are only so big (regardless
whether it is a port aggregation tap or a switch) and that in sustained
traffic above 50% link utilization, you are dropping packets.  If you
want to make sure you can see ALL the traffic, the Intrushield IDS/IDP
has the ability to handle the multiple stream output of a tap.  Not only
can it handle the full line rate, it can put the streams back together
and maintain state.

-bill