IDS mailing list archives

Re: Is IDS/IPS worthless?

From: Xiaoyong Wu <xwu () anr mcnc org>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:35:47 -0500

Hi, Adam and all,

I kind of have a different view on firewalls vs. IDS/IPS.

Let's take a look at the real world. We have walls around buildings and
houses, and we also have those monitoring devices outside of the walls
and inside of the walls. It is clear that those walls in real world
blocks burglars, but it is arguable if those monitoring devices worth
it. Every house has a wall and everyone knows it works. It is much
harder from those security device companies to prove their home
monitoring devices to people.

Now, let's look at the Internet world. We have firewalls and IDS/IPS. It
is much clear for people to see the work that firewalls have done and it
is the same doubt in people's mind on IDS/IPS as those security
monitoring devices. One thing we kind of ignored here is that the human
behind the monitoring devices. When we are shopping for a home security
service, we are not just looking at those devices those company install
but also how the company take care of the output from those devices. The
same issue exists for the IDS/IPS devices. The system admin or security
admin behind the IDS/IPS devices have to be considered. Without a
skillful security guy looking at the outputs from the IDS/IPS, the
IDS/IPS is almost worthless as a monitoring device without real people
looking at the monitors. IDS/IPS is valuable when the output from them
are investigated and watched.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks,
-Xiaoyong