IDS mailing list archives

Re: Counter detect Network Sniffer

From: Chris Caydes <chris_caydes () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:05:25 -0800 (PST)

Hello Bill,

In order to capture the entire traffic passing on a
network segment, the sniffer needs to be put in
promiscuous mode.

One thing that should work to detect if a particular
NIC is configured in promiscuous mode on your network
segment is the following :
- determine the IP address and associated MAC address
of the suspected host, using ARP.
- send IP traffic to that node using its legitimate IP
address (for instance, ping) but forge the destination
MAC address to a different value than that of the
suspected node.
- if the node responds to that traffic despite the MAC
address being bogus, you can suspect the node to be in
promiscuous mode.

Note : if the target host runs a firewall, or if the
segment is on a switch instead of a hub, the trick
might not work.

Disclaimer : I haven't tried this trick myself, i'm
just assuming it would work. Also, I read a similar
idea a long time ago, but don't remember where.

Regards,
Chris

--- Bill Mok <billmok2002 () yahoo com hk> wrote:
Is there any method to detect one using sniffer, say
ethereal, in the same network?