IDS mailing list archives

Re: Counter detect Network Sniffer

From: "Tace " <tace () lycos com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:12:06 +0700

Hi,
    I think there are a few methods mentioned before that can "detect" the use of sniffer. Note that I used "detect",
as the methods only can detect whether a machine is in promiscuous mode or not. (of course, I can set my network
interface into promiscuous mode without starting a sniffer but only in rare cases, like eg, you are using Virtual
switch function of Virtual PC, etc)
    I remembered 2 methods, the first one is more tedious, requiring you have control of the network. It involves
introducing traffic noise into the network (to various machine) and measuring the latency and response of connections
to all machines in the network. Machine in promiscuous mode will be lagging as it has to handle other packets not meant
for it. (normally rejected at datalink layer if not meant for it).
    The second method is easier to perform, involving tricking the machine in promiscuous mode to respond. However, you
need to be able to craft your own packet (use libnet i think). The idea is to set the MAC address of the packet to some
address that does not belong to any of the maching in the network. Set the IP of the packet to reflect correctly the IP
of the machine you are probing. Sent it into the network and it should respond, when it shouldn't... then you know it
is in promiscuous mode...
    Next, is to detect if the machine in promiscuous mode is running a sniffer.... that I am not sure how to...

    Of course, instead of rolling your own, you can always find some software already on the net that detects sniffer,
like anti-sniffer etc...

    Hope this helps